Girl to Girl
A Children’s Book Review Bestseller!
Being a girl isn’t always easy, and growing up is far from a walk in the park. This time of transition is particularly confusing without a confidante to help. Meet Sarah Burningham, a real-life big sister here to coach preteens through all of life’s big moments, from first bras to first periods. Filled with letters and testimonials from real girls—as well as confidence-boosting advice and myth-busting sidebars—Girl to Girl: Honest Talk About Growing Up and Your Changing Body is a must-have for every girl navigating her way through the preteen years.
“What a marvelous book for girls 8-12 years old. This accurate, reassuring, and clearly written guide is one of the best presents that we can give to the young girls in our lives—especially in an era where they read so much misinformation on the Internet.”
– Judy Norsigian, Executive Director, Our Bodies Ourselves
Doctors and Experts are Raving!
“Girl to Girl is a desperately needed guide for girls ages 8-12. This “tween” age has been woefully unattended to, and has long needed a visually interesting and emotionally accessible book on growing up. Girl to Girl gives age appropriate information on girl’s bodies and sexuality and does it in an engaging, unembarrassed manner. And parents of diverse backgrounds, who have been looking for a book to lean on and learn from, have got their wish. Real girls inhabit these pages and share what readers will want to know—and what they’ll need to know.”
– Pepper Schwartz, PhD, Professor of Sociology at the University of Washington and author of Ten Talks Parents Need to have with Kids about Sex and Character
“Girl to Girl is an engaging resource for girls going through puberty. Sarah O’Leary Burningham addresses the wide range of emotional and physical changes that girls experience in a way that is comprehensive, fun, and caring.”
– Mark Schuster, MD, PhD, William Berenberg Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School, Chief of General Pediatrics at Boston Children’s Hospital, and co-author of Everything You Never Wanted Your Kids to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid They’d Ask)
“Ever wish you had a smart, savvy, cool big sister to give you the inside scoop on your changing body and emotions? Sarah O’Leary Burningham delivers! Practical and confidence-building, she covers everything from taking care of your changing hair and face, to a great how-to for learning to shave the legs. Going through puberty leaves some feeling alone and confused. Girl to Girl leaves girls feeling understood and self-assured.”
– Alan Greene, MD, Pediatrician, father, speaker, and author of Feeding Baby Green and Raising Baby Green
“Girl to Girl is the perfect guide for girls going through the many changes of adolescence! The friendly text, positive attitude, and expert information (from grown-up girls who have “been there and done that” as well as some medical professionals) provides reassuring advice for young women. I highly recommend this book to my patients who are looking for healthy ways to deal with tween and teen hygiene, practical tips for buying bras, and a whole lot more!”
– Jennifer Shu, MD, Pediatrician, mom, speaker and co-author of Food Fights and Heading Home With Your Newborn, and editor of Baby & Child Health
“Growing up is never easy, but with today’s media pressure on girls to be perfect it is wonderful to read Girl to Girl, a lovely, engaging book for kids going through the transition into puberty. It’s a great book for girls to share with their mums, as it will open up dialogue easily and make asking and answering those often embarrassing questions a breeze! The friendly, conversational tone and lively pictures will make it fun to explore the exciting changes involved during puberty.”
– Sue Atkins, Parenting coach, speaker, and author of Parenting Made Easy: How To Raise Happy Children
“The illustrations, organization, and tone of voice are all pitch perfect for girls entering puberty. Girls will have fun reading this terrific health and hygiene chapter book by themselves, and following up afterwards with questions for Mom. Girl to Girl will help every girl hold up a thoughtful mirror to her concerns about her changing body, and in a way that should minimize obsessions with body image.”
– Joan Jacobs Brumberg, Professor at Cornell University and author of The Body Project: An Intimate History of American Girls and Fasting Girls: The History of Anorexia Nervosa
“Girl to Girl is a must-read for girls and their parents. Filled with practical, sensible and informative advice from an array of experts and written in a reassuring, big sister tone, it’s sure to be a great conversation starter for parents who want their daughters to be confident in their changing bodies. Sarah Burningham has put together an important resource for girls who will find answers to all of their questions about what’s happening with their bodies as they grow up. An added bonus is the wonderful illustrations which help ease your discussion about some sensitive topics.”
– Sue Scheff, Founder of Parent’s Universal Resource Experts, Inc. (P.U.R.E.™) and author of Wit’s End: Advice and Resources for Saving Your Out-of-Control Teen
“As adult women we sometimes forget what it feels like to be a young girl entering puberty in a body image obsessed culture. Sarah Burningham has not forgotten. Girl to Girl will enable girls to navigate the sometimes treacherous passage into womanhood while holding on to a healthy sense of self-esteem. Girl to Girl feels like a conversation with a trusted older sister or friend. In this “girl talk” you can ask even the most embarrassing questions and receive honest answers and practical advice. Sarah seamlessly interweaves questions from teens with information provided by healthcare professionals without losing the comfortable conversational tone. I wish Girl to Girl had been available for me and my daughters.”
– Kate Della-Piana, LCSW, Executive Director, Family Counseling Center